It’s a story of Kermit and Connection.
This is the kind of story that reminds me WHY I do what I do! Why I help people, businesses and organizations to build their community on and off-line. Because this is the kind of story that just makes me smile to tell!
Last fall, I made a new friend. Brilliant Digital Media Consultant Stephanie Fierman who not only shares my love for social media and brand, but for the Muppets and Sesame Street! My cool new friend invited me to an exciting evening at the Director’s Guild in NYC to see the directors of Sesame Street speak on a panel. We had the best time- like two kids in a candy store! So, when she saw the video below hit the advertising insider track, she of course shared it with me. The Muppets™ was opening in the UK in early February- sponsored by Cravendale Milk.
I watched this video, squealed with delight and immediately thought, “I need one of those Kermit backpacks. Who do I know in the UK?”
So here’s what happens on my quest for the backpack….
- I tag George on Facebook. He asks his wife if their adorable daughter drinks this kind of milk and maybe they can get a backpack that way. No luck.
- Have no fear. George (aka UK Don Draper) has ideas. We move from Facebook to Twitter and he uses his relationships and understanding of the industry to track down the advertising agency responsible for the advertisement.
- Soon a tweet goes out to an agency friend of his inquiring about the backpack for a “stateside friend” who would love to get her hands on one of those. (that’s me!)
- A few hours later, Neil from the prestigious global ad agency Wieden + Kennedy tweets me to send him my address.
- We exchange a few really funny emails with no promises but he will “see what he can do”.
- A few weeks later, an international package arrives with ….You guessed it…my very own Kermit backpack. It does not matter it is made for kids and barely fits me. He is fuzzy, green, happy and all mine. Kermie!
And thanks to Stephanie, George and Neil, Kermit arrived just in time to travel with me to The Muppet Movie (1979) sing-a-long at the NYC Museum of Moving Image in honor of the last weekend of Jim Henson’s Fantastic World exhibit. The event was complete with adults (like me!) with all types of props singing along to this beloved movie and its characters. A magical afternoon. My Kermit backpack spent most of the show being squeezed and kissed by a 2-year old girl who sat in front of me. The connection circle continued.
The Power of Kermit and Connection= Happiness